Little Things

Life is always moving.  It can be at times a very big adventure but can also be very small. 

It's easy to judge life by the big things.  A new relationship, a child born, a move or change in careers.  Perhaps an illness or accident.

Life is also little things.  I mean really little things like a cool breeze on a hot day.  An unexpected rain. A smooth trip to the grocery store.

Sometimes it is a mixture.  For an example, a friend calling to say hi.  Any given day that might be a small thing.  Then there are days when it is the biggest thing in your world.

Lately I've been thinking about the big and small things in my life.  I've been shifting through and trying to give gratitude for all the "things".  For instance, I realized that my boyfriend and I never fight.  We just haven't fought in the last four plus years.  I was reminded the other day of this fact.  I overheard a woman at work arguing on the phone.  The parts I heard didn't seem like a big deal but I am not her.  Bobby is not him and the situation is one we haven't encountered.

That tiny, unintentional evasion of privacy had me looking around that day.   I realized there are a lot of folks engaged in some sort of battle, whether with their child, parent, child's school or doctor, significant other.  I realized that it has been a really long time since I have been consumed with constant drama.  Constant fear, worry and weariness. 

In it of itself that is a BIG deal.   This day however I realized that it was made up of little things happening every day.  Everyday another little day of just living.  Living happy.  Living content.  Living my life and knowing my place in the world.

So I checked myself.  I mentally, emotionally and spiritually stopped and took a long look at things.  Was I taking for granted the ease of which my life has become?  Have I taken the time to say "Thank you" to the people who have prayed, supported and encouraged me along the way?  Have I acted each day with a genuine disposition of gratitude?

I would challenge you today to take stock in the life around you.  What are the little things that, perhaps, have gone unnoticed?  It's easy to look at the big things.  They are quickly measured by the deep emotional or physical response we have.  It's a little harder to notice the little things, the easy days. 

What little thing are you grateful for today?

Comments

Popular Posts